As the seasons come and go, our homes act as a safe haven from the outdoors. Raining or snowing outside? Allergy season? Time to stay inside and watch a movie or read a book. But are our homes really protecting us?
“We often think of outdoor pollutants when we think of poor air quality, but the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says the air indoors is up to five times more polluted than outdoor air,” said Austin Teerman, Amway air filtration engineer.
What can I do to make my home air safer?
The top concerns are odors, allergens, chemicals and fine particulate matter, which you can address with these strategies:
- Control sources.Keep humidity levels between 30 percent and 50 percent. Vacuum carpets and furnishings using a high-efficiency filter vacuum, mop floors and dust surfaces frequently. Thoroughly clean and dry or replace water-damaged carpet, furniture and building materials.
- Change cleaning routines.Never mix cleaners. For example, mixing bleach with ammonia or acidic cleaners like toilet bowl cleaners releases poisonous gasses. And, “look for cleaning products like Legacy of Clean brand products with the Safer Choice designation – they perform just as well as harsher cleaners but won’t add harmful or irritating chemicals to your air,” says Doug Feenstra, manager of home care product development at Amway.
- Improve ventilation. Use exhaust fans in bathrooms and kitchens. Properly vent damp air from crawlspaces and attics.
- Use an air filtration system. “Continuously run a high-efficiency air purifier and keep your home as air-tight as possible,” advises Teerman. “The clean air delivery rate(CADR) is the main performance metric.”
Improve your air quality with the Atmosphere Sky Air Treatment System!
If you’re going to use an air filtration system for the home, experts say quality is key. “A HEPA filter will remove 99.97% of pollutant particles .3 microns and larger; the average airborne virus, however, is .1 microns. Our Atmosphere Sky Air Treatment System effectively removes 99.99%* down to .007 microns – 7,000 times smaller than a human hair,” said Teerman.
What contaminants does the Atmosphere Sky unit remove?
Our air filtration system can remove over 130 contaminants, including:
- Fibers and pet hair
- Dust mite and cockroach allergens
- Smoking odors
- Cooking odors
- Pet odors
What’s the technology behind the Atmosphere Sky unit?
The Atmosphere Sky system is engineered for better air, meaning it’s built with the most up-to-date technology including:
- Inteliflow, a unique internal air circulation system, has 3-stage filtration, a particle sensor, and an optimized air path. The Pre-Filter captures large, airborne fibers and hair. The HEPA filter removes small particles such as allergens, bacteria and mold. The Carbon filter reduces formaldehyde, dioxin, and ozone, as well as odors from smoking, cooking, and pets.
- Atmosphere Connect App is our custom-designed app for the Atmosphere Sky system, making it easy to monitor and manage the air inside your room, even when you’re away. Your phone acts as a remote control and can be used to monitor air quality, filter life, and multiple devices.
Quality of air is quality of life!
It’s time to breathe easy in your home by making important changes to improve the air quality.
*Based on internet claims as of March 2017 and based on 99.99% removal of airborne allergens and contaminants down to 0.007 microns.