Here at Nutrilite we have always had a great commitment to sustainability. Nutrilite’s three organic farms help us get the best and freshest ingredients to use in each and every supplement we make, without using harmful chemicals that could negatively impact our environment. While we usually focus on the products themselves, today we take a look at the process behind the products.
The Essence of the Nutrilite Sustainable Farming System
The Nutrilite farms are engaged in a bio-intensive type of farming, emphasizing the responsible management of biological interrelationships – such as those between pests and natural enemies – and the use of natural processes to build soil health and plant nutrition. We emphasize and stimulate sustainable biological intensive agricultural practices, rather than “quick-fix” methods and materials for growing crops. Our goal is to enhance and sustain the relationship between farming and nature
8 Features of Nutrilite’s Sustainable Farming Systems
- Considering the farm as an organism – including the interaction and diversity of the people, animals, plants and elements of the earth working together in perfect balance.
- The integration and diversity of the plants that are cultivated, and the people and animals living on the farm.
- The preservation of habitats – natural ecological areas within the farm boundaries to sustain the diversity of both native plant and animal species.
- Wide based soil nutrition – protecting the soil as a living organism, with the goal of maintaining 45 to 50 elements in the soil by feeding the soil natural materials.
- No contamination allowed – creating a healthy and thriving base so that the need for curative measures is limited.
- Preservation and cultivation of a wide variety of seeds.
- Traceability of every action performed on each piece of land, so that we may truly work as one with nature and respect the farm as a living organism.
- Social life – ensuring that the farm is a viable operation that will provide economic security and sustainability for the families who depend on it.
Nutrilite Organic Farming Enhances Healthy, Productive Soil
Nutrilite is the only global brand to grow, harvest and process plants on its own certified organic farms.*
Why organic? Our use of organic farming practices actually began with Nutrilite founder Carl Rehnborg:
- He grew his crops in accordance with nature.
- He felt that replenishing the soil, rather than depleting its nutrients, would ultimately produce better crops.
- He used natural methods to control harmful weeds, insects, and predators.
* Based on a survey of global vitamin and dietary supplement brand conducted by Euromonitor International.
Nutrilite Organics: An Environmentally Friendly System
Our organic farming practices blend cultural practices, land preparation and farm management – with a goal of enhancing healthy, productive soil for growing quality plants that resist diseases and insects. Soil is a living system – much more than mere dust and rock. Managing soil’s organic matter and organisms is key to organic farming practices.
The regulated practice of most “organic farming systems” eliminates chemical pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers. The agencies that certify organic farms specify all allowable and prohibited substances to be used.
How Nutrilite Farms Operate Organically
All Nutrilite farms follow a program of continually enhancing the soil with cover crops, green manure crops, composts, and other naturally-mined materials required for crops to flourish.
- We conduct annual soil tests, to determine which mined minerals and composts should be added to balance the soil and make it a healthy ecosystem for all the living microorganisms and earthworms that contribute to the growth of the plants.
- We also plant cover crops specifically to help improve the soil, protect it from erosion, and conserve nutrients and moisture.
- Crops are rotated to enhance the vitality of the soil complex, and to minimize the need for tilling. Tilling can expose the soil to erosion, and speeds up decomposition of organic matter, which can be detrimental to microorganisms and earthworms.
Controlling Weeds at Nutrilite
Weeds are controlled and suppressed in a variety of ways:
- Crops are rotated to help prevent weeds from growing.
- Specific plants are used to help suppress weeds, nematodes, and certain other plant diseases.
- Plants are mechanically cultivated and hand-weeded.
Controlling Pests at Nutrilite
Pests at Nutrilite farms are controlled through natural methods:
- We encourage nature’s own system of balance by providing habitats and food for natural enemies of pests.
- Ladybugs, green lacewings, hawks, owls, sheep, and other natural predators control insects and vertebrate pests.
- We also use natural sprays approved by the certifying agencies.
At Nutrilite, we know that the best supplements begin with the best plants. We are dedicated to sustainable, organic farming so that you can enjoy the best that supplements have to offer.