Whether you tie it to the calendar year, the lunar year or the fiscal year, it’s never a bad time to embrace the saying: New year, new me. Go ahead, make it a hashtag: #newyearnewme.
As we jump into 2021, we may have some lofty goals about how to leave the old year behind (good riddance!) and make the new year the one where we really change our lifestyle. This is the year where we make those healthy habits stick, right?
We’ve got some advice for all of you on the “new year, new me” mission: Slow your roll.
That’s right, slow down. One reason many people fail at “new year, new me” resolutions or major life changes is that they take on too much at once by adopting huge, life-changing goals. Instead, start with small changes that are more achievable.
This will allow you to record some early wins and build on those small successes until the larger goals are well within reach. Once you feel like you’ve mastered the first one, raise the bar and add something new.
Just make sure you give yourself enough time to really make it a habit. Here are some realistic goals to start with and tips for making them stick.
New year, new me: Make hydration a priority
Water makes up more than half of your body weight, and without the right amount, your body can’t work its best. Good hydration supports the body’s immune system, helps skin health, keeps our mind sharp and our days productive.
Every day, the average person should drink between 72 and 96 oz. of water – or roughly 2-3 liters, more if you’re exercising heavily. It may sound easy, but if you’re focused on work or other projects for much of the day, it can be challenging.
- Get yourself a high quality, reusable water bottle that you take with you wherever you go. Fill it up and take a sip at every opportunity.
- Set alarms on your phone or use a hydration-boosting app to remind you to keep on swigging. Many fitness or weight management apps also have a water tracking feature.
- Add some flavor to your experience by dropping fruit pieces into your bottle or using hydration-supporting add-ins. XS™ CocoWater, for example, is naturally flavored, helps replenish electrolytes and delivers antioxidants†—good for any time of the day, especially before and after workouts.
New year, new me: Start a real skin care routine
It’s never too early or too late to start a skin care routine. And it may benefit more than just your skin. Making time to pamper your skin is a form of self-care that is needed right now. It’s also something you can control.
Maybe you’ve been haphazard with your skin care—sleeping with makeup, skipping moisturizer, only exfoliating when you get a mask as a gift. It’s time to ramp it up and give your skin the attention it deserves.
- Consider a beauty app that can provide a skin assessment and help you create a routine that addresses your specific skin care needs. The Artistry™ Virtual Beauty App offers a personalized skincare regimen and product recommender for your skin. (Available for your iOS® or Android® device.)
- Find a product line you like and follow its recommendations. These products were designed by experts to work in combination with each other, like the Artistry Ideal Radiance™ System that features a cleanser, toner and 2 moisturizers – one for combination-to-oily skin and one for normal-to-dry skin.
- Develop a morning and evening routine, like the Artistry™ 4-Step Regimen of cleansing, toning, treating and moisturizing. (What’s “treating”? See next tip.)
- Find your serum to treat your skin for extra care. Thanks to scientific research, you can give your skin much more than a splash of water and a bit of moisturizer. Whether you want to address wrinkles, dark spots, dullness, hydration, or firming, you can mix an Artistry Signature Select™ Personalized Serum for your needs.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen! Even in the winter and on cloudy days, protecting your skin from UVB/UBA sun rays is an important step in any skin care routine. Give the Artistry Ideal Radiance™ UV Protect SPF 50 a try.
New year, new me: Start taking your vitamins
A healthy diet rich in colorful fruits and vegetables is the best way to give your body the nutrients it needs each day. But this is the real world and we know that not everyone is consuming the recommended 5-9 daily servings.
Fill those nutritional gaps with a daily vitamin and supplement routine. Start with a multivitamin like Nutrilite™ Daily or Nutrilite™ Double X™ Vitamin/Mineral/Phytonutrient Supplement. They both offer multiple essential vitamins and minerals as well as phytonutrients to help give your body the foundational nutrients it needs and beyond.
Maybe you could benefit from a supplement that supports eye health for those long hours of screen time, an omega-3 supplement for balanced EPA-DHA, a probiotic to support healthy digestive system or supplements that support your skin health. †
- Make taking your vitamins easy to remember by incorporating them into daily routine, like drinking coffee, brushing your teeth or eating breakfast.
- Keep the bottles visible as a daily reminder rather than stashed in a cupboard.
- Set alarms on your phone or smart watch to remind you to take them or download an app that includes tracking your daily vitamins.
- If you’re taking multiple vitamins each day, set them up in a pill box with compartments for every day of the week and keep it in a visible location.
These are just a few new healthy habits to start integrating into your life. Once you feel you’ve mastered one, add another and just keep working.
Take that first step, and then the next one, and then the next one and before you know it, you’ll be living the new, healthy life you want for yourself and realizing your goal of a “new year, new me!”
†This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.