Looking for more things to clean and organize since you’re practicing social distancing to help flatten the curve of the coronavirus? Grab your makeup bag.
If you are someone who likes to add the newest colors, shades or hues to your makeup bag each season, this is a good time to check your makeup bag for outdated products. Just like vitamins and supplements, your cosmetics have a “best by” date to ensure quality and safety.
Artistry Creative Director of Makeup Design Rick DiCecca shares his recommendations to keep your makeup bag up-to-date.
Out with the old
- Unopened Artistry beauty products are good for 36 months after the date they were sealed in containers. (That date is printed on both cartons and containers, in most cases.)
- Skincare items are good for 12 months after opening, beyond that, products may separate, break down or otherwise lose quality.
- Color cosmetics, including foundations, pressed powder compacts, eyeshadows, blushes or bronzers and lipsticks are best used no more than six months after opening. After that, they may begin to change color or texture. When your powder products develop dark spots or start to crumble, it’s time to let them go.
- Mascara and eyeliner have different standards. Because they are used so close to the eye, those items should be replaced every three months to avoid bacteria or eye infections.
“A good rule of thumb is if any other product is more than 12 months old, you should probably toss it,” Rick says. And if any product develops an unusual odor, replace it immediately.
In with the new
Once you’ve cleaned out old product, it’s time to replenish the basics. Rick says there are four products that every woman needs in her makeup bag and he also shares a few tips and recommendations:
- Moisturizer with sunscreen: No matter your age, skincare needs or climate, a minimum of SPF 15 should be worn every day, whether it comes from your moisturizer, foundation or just a plain sunscreen. A product that offers multiple benefits is Artistry Exact Fit™ Beauty Balm Perfecting Primer with broad spectrum sunscreen SPF 35, which primes, perfects and hydrates.
- Mascara: There’s no woman on earth who doesn’t want long, lush lashes, so make sure you have a fresh bottle in your bag. To apply, tap mascara over the top of lashes using up-and-down strokes, then wiggle and sweep up from the base to create maximum volume. (Looking for something really new? Try Artistry Studio™ Oh-So-Colorful Mascara in Harajuku Blue.)
- Lipstick or lip gloss: Your makeup bag should have two lipsticks or glosses – one for day and one for night. For daytime, find a neutral shade that’s slightly deeper than your natural lip color. For evening, go for red, berry or fuchsia for a bold confident look. One to try: Artistry Signature Color™ Light Up Lip Gloss in raspberry kiss. (Extra tip: Tone down your eyes when wearing a bold lip. It’s hard to pull off dramatic eyes and lips at the same time!)
- Blush: Apply on the apples of the cheeks, strategically across the forehead and subtly down the bridge of the nose. You’ll look like you’ve just come in from outside. Want to find your perfect shade? Make a fist and open your hand—the color on the tips of your fingers, and in your palm, is the shade you should match.
More than four
Once you have your basics, you can add products based on your needs and desired looks. Here are Rick’s top 10 products to help you create any look from workday ready to night out on the town:
- Lightweight moisturizer with sunscreen.
- Lip gloss or lipstick (neutral for daytime, a deeper shade for evening)
- Blush or highlighter
- Longwearing foundation
- Eyebrow pencil
- Eyeshadow (a shimmery champagne and matte taupe option will suit most)
- Tweezer to shape and define brows.
As for the tools of the trade – the brushes for those eyeshadows, blushes and highlighters – Rick suggests these five: foundation brush, an angled blush brush, pointed blending brush, a crease brush and an angled eyeliner brush.
With updated products and the proper tools, you’ll be ready to create looks for every season and occasion!