We all know bones need calcium to stay strong. But it’s also important to remember that as we age — and especially after we turn 30 — our bodies begin to actually take calcium from our bones. To help avoid easy breakage, we need to replenish them. So how do we keep our bones strong and healthy?
Why strong bones are so important
Our skeletal system does much more than give our bodies physical support, our bones also perform critical functions like:
- Movement. Bones are connected by joints, which help bones move.
- Protection. Bones protect organs that are housed within them (for example, the brain inside of the skull).
- Blood cell production. Bone marrow is the tissue located in the center of large bone; it’s where new blood cells are produced.
- Nutrient storage. Bones act as a reservoir for two main minerals — calcium and phosphorus — which are essential to other body systems.
- Endocrine regulation. Bones help regulate hormones to maintain adequate supplies of calcium and phosphorus.
How nutrients help
Did you know bones are constantly worn down and remade? Approximately every seven years, you have “new” bone, and nutrients play a key role in that process.
- Calcium is essential for the development and maintenance of strong bones and teeth. In fact, calcium is the most abundant mineral in the body, and about 99% of it is found in the bones.
- Magnesium contributes to the makeup of teeth and bones.
- Vitamin D works together with calcium to help build and maintain strong bones.
Are you getting enough good nutrition?
Besides dairy foods like milk and cheese, other foods offer good sources of calcium, too, including kale, spinach and oranges. But nearly all of us have some gaps in our daily nutrition.
If you want to make sure you’re getting enough calcium, Nutrilite Cal Mag D can help. It contains magnesium and vitamin D along with the calcium to help with absorption.
In fact, among leading competitors, it’s the only one that offers 50% or more of the Daily Value for calcium, magnesium, zinc, and manganese! And Nutrilite uses a natural, renewal calcium source — calcified seaweed. It comes from a NutriCert Certified farm on the coast of Iceland.
Nutilite Cal Mag D is also available as part of the Nutrilite Bone Health Pack, a combination of Cal Mag D, Bone Guard and vitamin D.
Support your bones so they can support you for years to come!