Most experts disagree about whether a daily multivitamin is necessary for all children. While some believe most children don’t need supplements because so many foods are fortified, others know all too well the perils of trying to get your little one to “eat healthy.”
The fact is that children who are picky eaters, susceptible to food sensitivities, or vegetarians may need a supplement just to meet the required daily amount of certain vitamins and minerals.
Fortunately, most experts do agree that taking a daily supplement won’t hurt as long as it doesn’t exceed the Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA) for any one vitamin or mineral. They also agree that supplements should never be a substitute for whole foods, but simply compensate for any gaps in your child’s diet.
If you choose to give your child a multivitamin, it’s important to know the ins and outs of each.
First, check out the ingredients
Make sure they are free of any artificial flavors or colors, aspartame and lactose.
Surprisingly, many children’s multivitamins are full of GMOs that can be linked to harmful side effects. Nutrilite is the only global vitamin and supplement brand to grow, harvest, and process plant ingredients on its own certified organic farms.†
Guard against tooth decay
Be on the lookout for chewable multivitamins that contain glucose syrup. This common ingredient can lead to tooth decay. Look for chewable vitamins sweetened with ingredients like xylitol or stevia, naturally derived sweeteners that won’t promote tooth decay.
Pay special attention to iron, calcium, zinc and vitamins A, C and E.
These are common nutrients that kids frequently don’t get enough of.
- Iron: The most common nutritional deficiency among toddlers, and it’s common among older children, too.
- Calcium: Needed to form growing bones. Proper calcium intake from childhood on can help maintain normal bone mass later in life.
- Zinc: An essential nutrient for proper growth and development.
- Vitamin A: Helps them see better, plus aids in the formation and maintenance of healthy skin.
- Vitamin C: Helps keep body tissues, such as gums and muscles, healthy. Vitamin C also helps the body absorb iron – important for kids – and protects cells from free radical damage.
- Vitamin E: This antioxidant powerhouse fights off free radicals.
Simplify your search
Check out Nutrilite products for kids, including Nutrilite™ Kids Chewable Daily, which provides 19 essential vitamins and minerals in strawberry-mango, grape and orange flavored chewable tablets, and Nutrilite™ Kids Chewable Concentrated Fruits and Vegetables, which has the phytonutrient equivalent to more than 5 servings of fruits and vegetables. Learn more at the websites for Amway US or Amway Canada.
†Source: Euromonitor International Limited.