We can’t all love eating broccoli, cauliflower or eggplant. The question is: Does it really matter?
It might. Because plant-based foods offer valuable nutrients that can keep our bodies performing optimally — and each one makes its own unique blend of nutrients available to us.
Why fruits and vegetables matter
Plants produce phytonutrients (or “plant nutrients”) as a defense mechanism to protect themselves from their environment. These phytonutrients are thought to provide similar benefits for people.
The next time you walk down a produce aisle, take a close look at all the different colors you see. Each vibrant plant color is related to the phytonutrients it contains — and a specific range of health benefits. In order to get many protective benefits for your whole body, it’s important to eat a wide variety of different colors.
Power up your plate
Want to add a particular phytonutrient to your diet? Some plant foods contain more than others. For instance:
- Red grapes have 20 times more resveratrol — believed to support memory and heart health — than blueberries
- Carrots have four times the alpha carotene — which supports healthy vision — of winter squash
- Raspberries have three times the cellular-health promoting ellagic acid of strawberries
- Green tea delivers 90 times more EGCG, which supports brain and heart health, than black tea
- Raw garlic has 11 times more allacin, which supports already healthy blood pressure, than powdered garlic
Learn more about phytonutrient content
The value of plant-based ingredients
At Nutrilite, we use phytonutrient mapping to measure and compare the phytonutrient content of plant-based and synthetic concentrates. Each peak on the chart below represents a phytonutrient. For example, as you can see, natural beta carotene (from algae) contains far more phytonutrients than its synthetic counterpart.
Did you know?
Nutrilite supplements are made by combining the vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients from more than 170 plants.
Catch up with your daily needs!
If you’re not getting a diverse range of food colors into your diet — whether it’s because you don’t like some fruits and vegetables, or you just don’t have enough time to prepare balanced meals — Nutrilite dietary supplements can help you get the phytonutrients you need. Find them here >