Life gives us so many beautiful things to see — and none of us want to miss a thing! As we age, it’s important to support our vision. But what nutrients in our diet can help support vision?
Step 1: Understanding how the eye works
The human eye can be compared to a camera. It gathers, focuses, and transmits light through a lens to create images of our environment. The eye is made up of the following structures:
- Corneas that transmit incoming light.
- Pupils, which determine the amount of incoming light.
- Irises to control the size of the pupil.
- Lenses to focus light rays.
- Retinas, which convert and send nerve impulses to the optic nerve.
- Rods that aid night and peripheral vision.
- Cones to help with detail and focus.
- Optic nerves to carry images from each eye to the brain.
Step 2: Getting the right nutrients to support eye health
Want to take a proactive approach to supporting your eyes? Certain nutrients have demonstrated their ability to support eye health. These are the ones you’ll want to be sure to get as part of your regular diet:
- Vitamin A in the retina helps transform light into a nervous impulse, to trigger the visual signal to the brain.
- Beta carotene combats free radicals.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin concentrated in the central region of the retina limit oxidation damage by absorbing incoming blue light, while also fighting damage caused by free radicals.
You can find all these nutrients in foods like sweet potatoes, carrots, and dark green leafy vegetables. Plus, eggs are a great additional source of lutein and zeaxanthin.
Did you know?
To get the greatest benefit from lutein, it’s best to consume it with meals — because fats eaten at the same time help improve absorption of this vital nutrient.
Not getting enough?
If you don’t like lots of vegetables or don’t eat them on a regular basis, you may want to add a nutritional supplement to your daily routine!
Try Nutrilite™ Multi Carotene: For those who want to support healthy, normal vision, both in daylight and at night.†
Or try Nutrilite™ Vision Health With Lutein: For people over 30 who are looking for a way to support healthy vision.†
† This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.