At any age, there’s no time like the present to take actions that can help support heart health. That means regular checkups with your physician to keep tabs on things like blood pressure, and ensuring good nutrition and exercise.
Circulatory system: A critical link to heart health
The circulatory system works together with the cardiovascular system to help support immunity, help our bodies maintain a normal temperature, and even keep chemical balances right for maintaining homeostasis throughout the entire body.
The circulatory system consists of three main components:
- The heart, which pumps blood and keeps it moving.
- Blood, which carries nutrients, water, oxygen, antibodies, and waste products to and from your cells.
- Blood vessels, including:
- Arteries that carry oxygenated blood away from the heart toward the rest of your body.
- Veins that carry deoxygenated blood to the heart.
- Capillaries, which connect arteries and veins.
What’s the role of good nutrition?
With a balanced diet and proper nutrients — including phytonutrients found in plant-based foods — we can help support our circulatory and cardiovascular systems. Here are a few examples:
- Omega-3s are important for supporting healthy blood flow and helping support already-normal blood pressure. They occur naturally in fatty fish like salmon and sardines, and in many seeds and nuts.
- CoQ10 is an enzyme that neutralizes free radicals. It’s produced naturally in our own bodies, but production slows down as we get older. You can find CoQ10 in organ meats like liver, or in spinach, broccoli, and other veggies.
- Allicin — found in garlic, onions, and leeks — helps support heart health by providing antioxidant protection against free radicals, and supports already-healthy blood pressure.
Getting the nutrients you need
Wondering if you’re getting enough? Most of us don’t obtain the wide range of nutrients we need from food alone, even with a relatively healthy diet. So to get optimal support for the heart and other systems, a nutritional supplement can be a good option.
For example: If you want to add more Allicin to your diet, try Nutrilite™ Garlic Heart Care. Other heart-healthy Nutrilite™ supplements include:
- Nutrilite™ Heart Health CoQ10 — Help keep your heart young.†
- Nutrilite™ IL1 Heart Health — Specially formulated for those who have tested positive for an overexpression of the IL1 gene, which is related to heart health.†
- Nutrilite™ Cholesterol Health — With green tea extract, which contains catechins and theaflavins to help support already-normal cholesterol levels.†
- Nutrilite™ Chewable Vitamin E — An easy-to-take supplement with vital antioxidants that can help fight free radicals.†
† This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.